Friday, October 12, 2007

Religion in my past

When I growing up, my large family with 5 children would go to a Presbyterian church every week. We grew up thinking going to church was just something you did on Sundays because that was how it was. But as soon the oldest of us, my brother, was able to drive, my mom stopped going and then just us kids continued. We began to become very involved in the church as being kids and loved it. But as we began to grow into teenagers, we slowly began to be criticized about everything we did, if we missed a Sunday, anything. So, slowly, we started not going as much. Although, I always believed in God, the act of going to church just seemed unnecessary to me. I began to believe in God and that I was a christian, but did not believe in going to church and paying money "to God". Then, when people started noticing me and my siblings not going to church, somehow that made us non christian and not right.
We never really understood why people that used to treat us like true friends started treating us like there was something wrong with our hearts and we had been somehow corrupted by our mother that stopping going many years ago. Relieving this, i almost became mad, but i had to realize that this is how some people think and I was just going to have to live with it.

No comments: